Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Success is not a solo project

As most of my (good) friends know, I have a very melancholic disposition. I suppose, it's difficult to be happy at times, and with cynicism wrapping itself around the bars towards bliss-dom, it is definitely a challenge to feel happy regardless of the circumstances.

However, lately, I have experienced joy that comes only once in a while. Part of it comes from new people I have met, quirky individuals who have brightened up my life. It comes in the form of happiness that both of you understand and empathise each other completely. It is the joy of finding someone who understands you - I am fortunate to have a few good friends who do that, and now I have found another one. My point is that my happiness is really a culmination of many factors these past few weeks.

I have not been updating my blog because I truly am too busy marking, teaching and field-working. My March and April days were filled with writing, more writing, and last minute panic attacks because I'm chasing the tails of deadlines. It's not entirely because of my tardiness, but because finalising what you want to do for your research thesis brings with it, a whole set of preparation to do. I am not a person who sits on an idea, and I like to ride the excitement to get as much done as possible with maximum outcomes (something I learnt from my boss: the ever opportunist). This leads to my next point...



National Arts Council has decided to fund my research project of Citizenship and Theatre: Young People's Participation!!!! I must thank the officers who worked tireless to process my grant, and for the background admin that must undergo for this approval to be expedited. My thanks goes out to you too!

Success is not a solo project, while I'm still in the midst of my "fieldwork" (or as Tim Bunnell calls it a Social-Geographical Laboratory), I wish to take time out to just thank the people who have made everything work out so far.

My supervisor of course, Tracey Skelton, who pushed me towards the various social networking events and of course, helping out on such a last-minute-basis on various signatures and IRB forms. 

I am also thankful to Joe, for reading my proposal, and giving me that critical eye to ensure that I am as concise as I can be as a writer. Thank you!

I wish also to thank Aloy, for believing in me, and appreciating how much this project means to me...thank you for your faith (hahahahaha!) in me. 

My gratefulness always extends to the TBB, for not understanding what the big deal is about research grants, but is happy for me all the same. Paris awaits!

I cannot have done it without, of course Koon Hui's faith in this project. Your dedication and passion deserves reward, and is 80% behind the reason why I am willing to slog through the paper for the grants. Young talents, passions and dedication need empowerment. Although it's a small sum, I hope it'll continue to inspire your work =)

I wish also to thank Rahul and Rei En as well, for being such a good sport in coming down to share your experience. I am sorry that the amount is so small, but nevertheless, I will arrange for something if possible. Thank you!

I am infinitely indebted to the generosity of my bosses, Mr and Mrs Chu for their support to the workshop, and their venue sponsorship, as well as advice on how to approach "gahmen" in such delicate matters. Much of my tangible skills, really can be attributed to your experiences!

______________________

I look forward to much more labours of love, and by July, hopefully finish the process with success!

My students might not read this, but every Sunday, I am thankful that you guys turn up for the workshop, it really warms my heart to see your eager faces and willingness to learn. I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment