Friday, June 7, 2013

You are interesting

Today seems like a good time as any to write, beautiful Saturday as it is. I wanted to blog about criticism, but my brain hasn't felt the compulsion to follow through with a cohesive line of thought such that I pen it down.

Recently, I have been hearing people say, "you're interesting!" or "what an exciting person you are!". The rush of a complement coupled with an increased sense of self-worth is wonderful. As I'm languidly enjoy these words of praise, my thoughts kicked into overdrive.

What does it mean to someone when you say they interest you, or excite you? What is it about a person that creates that excitement or interest, and is it wholly from that person?

I find it difficult to solely take credit that I created interest in the person. Well firstly, I think I'm a very average person, and whilst my tastes in music run to the very boring, I am just like every other. You must have something in you that makes you You, as much as there is something in me that makes me an I.

Taking a step back, when someone calls me interesting, I feel what they really are referring to, is a sensation that is a disconnection and a rekindling. Before I lose you, let me briefly explain. Disconnection refers a departure from the known, and the familiar, which transforms into novelty. However, what becomes exciting or interest, is a rekindling of your desires long forgotten, something you forgot you craved, and there is a sense of fascination that it has now reappeared in your reality. When a person is "interesting", the -ing is the operative part of the word.

So why bother with this academese of what is simply a mundane matter? Well, perhaps it bears remembering that since interest has an I component as much as a You, one can lose interest once it becomes familiar to oneself, or that rekindling no longer becomes a fascination. Which is why we never say "you're interesting" to our parents or long-worn friends. I also feel it is important to understand why we feel some are interesting while others are not. Perhaps the one what is not interest(Ed)ing is not him/her, but you. So do we have a responsibility to others when we also find them boring? Are we too quick to judge and jump to conclusions just because they don't excite us as they feel familiar? Have you unjustly written someone away because of your lack in will  to be interested? My point is that a person is not interesting, you have to also make an effort to become excited. For some, it is easy, but others requires patience from a diamon cutter.

Being in tune and discovering parts of a person that rekindles certain forgotten drives and areas of life is exciting to me, and hence also what makes people interesting.

Dear reader, I may never meet you or hear from you, but nevertheless I am confident you are always an interesting being to someone. Now the question is, are you also interested?

4 comments:

  1. what happens when one loses interest in oneself then - is that interesting to oneself or anyone else, for that matter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess, if you lose interest in yourself, then you are no longer interest-ing to yourself. It's quite a self-referential process to lose interest in ourselves. Can we lose interest in ourselves, after all, how do we disconnect and yet get reminded of things we "forgot". I guess this can only happen with the external other - and nonetheless the process of being reminded requires another person

    (do i even make sense)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interest is a pretty subjective thing, isn't it? What/who is interesting to me might not be interesting to you. Granted there are some things which are interesting to more people, like magic, but there are people who find it uninteresting too!

    I guess everyone is interesting in their own way, everyone has a story, so I like the part about being patient and discovering interesting things about people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeap, I suppose what I'm also saying in the post, is that what interests us might not always be the person, but rather what we're intrinsically already interested by. Therefore, when we say someone is interesting/boring, perhaps we should take a step back and ask ourselves what is it about this person that bores/interest us =)

      Delete