Monday, June 17, 2013

Dating: Age is but a number?

I was reminded of a conversation I had with a friend a long while back (walao Xinyi, your smses have died along with your inefficient groupmates in your FYP). Why do women not date younger men? This question triggered another memory. There was a tongue-in-cheek comment that my prof made about his older wife which goes something like this,

"I was talking to my wife the other day, and told her that it would be better to marry someone younger than you...you know, men tend to die faster right? So as men, if we marry older women, means I can be with her longer. -> collective sighs from the students."

Reading up on those lifestyle commentaries about dating young men, have reaped a whole new window of insights. It is fascinating how people talk about having relationships with younger men. They range from hugely successful still-married-after-14-years-going-on-to-their-fourth-child, to huge epic horror stories of overly-insecure-and-clingy-needy-immature-boyfriends. I mean these problems occur in "normal" relationships too. Why is age such a big factor in considering life partners?

I suppose it's a matter of lifecourse. Age is indeed, but a number. While growing old is mandatory, growing up is not. There are mature young people, and childish old farts around (like my uncle). So who is to say what works and what doesn't? Why do we judge our friends who date a younger guy/older woman to be doomed to have a high chance of failing? Sometimes, we underestimate the resilience and adaptability that youth can have, that adults sometimes lack.

This is of course, in no way saying that all women should therefore start going after young blood. On the contrary, what are we really saying when we caution ourselves against going after younger partners? It is the immaturity, and the self-centeredness that we do not want. It is also the lack of patience in our partners, the assumption that we want our partners whole and "perfect" first - that drives us to say we want 'older men'. We jump to conclusions that the checklist of traits we have, are found in a younger woman/older men. While the probabilities are higher in that group, it is not an absolute necessity. We assume that with age, comes experience and therefore the rest must follow. However, there some   many scores of people who are older and the experience, but do not learn from it.


This standard.operating.procedure to find a younger woman/older men is also gender biased. A Man must be older so that he can guide his younger Wife, or even in a partnership, to be the higher one amongst equals. He holds your hand, and he will support you (financially and emotionally). Such great burdens to place on men, and unfortunately not all carry it well. The same goes for women. Not all are equally apt at playing the submissive, or are comfortable with leaving decisions to their husbands. This is of course, an oversimplification of gender roles, and we have come a long way to make things fairer for both. However, with girls preferring older partners, these gender assumptions still subtly exist. Perhaps it is time to question those assumptions.

We have individual emotional and intimate needs where only that special someone can address. That person to address your needs is not inscribed in the year he/she was born, but in the Person that he/she was, is, and will be. If a younger person is able to grow with me and love the family enough to work together, isn't that what everyone wants in a relationship? The point is that we should also be democratic in our partners, and give everyone an equal chance. We should not be dictated by whom we are taught to love, but by who we love. If we do find out that the relationship does not work out, or if the person (regardless of age) is not compatible, then that is still a lesson we can learn from to find out the people we want in our lives.

Age is but a number, yes, but does it count?

(p.s. and that, by the way, was a double entendre. Recently, I've been sprouting them on instinct, I am starting to suspect I might have an affliction not yet recorded in the DSM-V.)

(p.p.s and looking back at my [dismal] dating history, it suddenly dawned on me that I dated more younger men than not.)

4 comments:

  1. "The point is that we should also be democratic in our partners, and give everyone an equal chance".

    But are there equal chances in life? Who is to give me an equal chance (in comparison to whom?).

    Nonetheless, I like this piece. Trying sending it to TODAY voices? haha. You know women that prefer young men are also cast as 'cougars' right? Cunning predators prowling for tender meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA OMG QIANHUI I didn't see this until now. What is this.

      In any case, I do agree that the meritocracy I seem to suggest doesn't quite apply in reality. After all, we are born differently in specific circumstances and social class. Sigh, life is complicated.

      HAHA send to a local newspaper? hmm idea!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to find one who thinks of love in a traditional sense. My guess to this is that being brought up in a highly competitive society, the needs of a woman is changing. While the level of maturity and experience is one consideration, I think your article only captures a small portion on security, particularly in the form of finances.

    I have a pretty bad dating record. I've had ladies drop me because I wasn't born rich. That's not to say I don't have a future, and no ambitions, but they seem to realise I'm still working towards them. Apparently the quickest way to security at our age is to date a man who can offer them the financial security at the tender age of 24. They can easily depend on them for support; getting a flat in this country wouldn't seem as a problem, so is getting food on the table, or having "intelligent" kids from a seeming "intelligent" and "mature" father. I guess the whole issue is about woman being practical in this day and age. I think I've seen enough for myself.

    I can't say I'm the most mature person one will ever meet. But I always thought working towards a life together was one of the things I see in my relationships. I guess not. Probably not in this day and age where money talks.

    A lovely article. I like how you articulate your ideas and thoughts. A new fan you have.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thanks for popping by =)

      I am in agreement with you, especially with regards to the practical considerations of women in the dating scene - which can be horrifically pragmatic and cold. There is an inherent pressure in our society (Singapore that is, I assume we are talking about here), to raise the "perfect" child. This developmentalist notion about scarce resources, does not only apply to our country, but also how we see the upbringing of children. Sometimes, I'm forced to also take the practical route and drop guys who don't really "have a direction" in life.

      However, I do not yet share the pessimism you seem to behold, and perhaps I have not experienced enough in this area of life to be disillusioned. Hope you'll find someone who is more forgiving and is willing to work it out! Don't ever give up!

      Delete