Thursday, January 31, 2013

Radical Ideas for 6.9 million in 2030.

So many numbers are floating around these days. From by-election percentages, to a professor's confession on the cost of pre-school and now the all elusive population figures.

6.9 million in 2030. I don't know how my friends in URA and PMO are reacting (or are defending). I find that number slightly hard to swallow. On a day-to-day basis, it seems almost ludicrous that Singapore can meet with a population of 5.4 million. The infrastructure almost seems on the brink of breaking down. An empirical case is the length of queues at the NUS Arts Canteen. So since this is such a radical proposal, I think it deserves some radical solutions as well.

So let's look at some -

1. Outsourcing Singapore: Why not buy up land in other countries and create a colony there? This increases spaces and we can totally copy-and-paste Singapore. They can be called Singalah. I think New Zealand has more sheep than people right? So go there lah! Can create "domestic" tourism somemore, increase GDP even more!

You'll be surprised to note that the Vatican was sort of created like that - well, maybe we can rehash history and do it too.

2. Make it a law that every couple must have at least 1 child: We can then set up a huge factory of children where they can be "nurtured" - the government pays 80%, and the tax income of the "parents" goes into the other 20%. People in the top 20% income tier need to have at least 2 children.

(we can always outsource wombs as well since IVF is so much cheaper now)

Some parents these days need as much disciplining as their children. Sometimes, outsourcing is really the better option.

3. Build highways that connect the surrounding islands: We have Pulau this and that. I think we can just build highways to connect them together.

We have flyovers, expressways, 4 tiered road system. What else is not possible?

4. Make some people work at night, and some people in the day: Why must everyone start work at 8am and end at 6pm? Why must students start school at 7:30am? Let's start school at 12pm-11pm, and parents can start at 8pm - 3am. So awesome right? Then now they can meet for lunch and spend quality time. Disperse the flows of people.

Students think better at night anyway. 

See with just a bit of divergent thinking, we can solve the problem.

If you can't understand the satire, then I really think you deserve to feel morally outraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment